What is Hackathon?
A hackathon (also known as a hack day, hackfest or codefest; a portmanteu of hacking marathon) is a design sprint-like event; often, in which computer programmers and others involved in software development, including graphic designers, interface designers, project managers, domain experts, and others collaborate intensively on software projects.
The goal of hackathon is to create functioning software or hardware by the end of the event. Hackathons tend to have a specific focus, which can include the programming language used, the operating system, an application, an API, or the subject and the demographic group of the programmers. In other cases, there is no restriction on the type of software being created.
The word “hackathon” is a portmanteau of the word’s “hack” and “marathon”, where “hack” is used in the sense of exploratory programming, not its alternate meaning as a reference to computer security.
In Genix, we had our first hackathon event on 7th Dec 2019
Why Hackathon in GENIX
The idea of hackathon is to bring the entire team out of a regular work day and to have fun at the same time learn/accomplish/experience new techonologies/solutions in short time. The learning is related to team’s work, so that it would benefit everyone. The primary goal of hackathon event is
- For internal innovation and motivation
How We did our first Hackathon
People from three companies in Chennai participated in the event. We split the big group into small groups of size 4-6 and assigned mini project to each group based on their interest. As a team, they work together to find solution for the project.
Topics we covered
- DevOps – DevOps release automation
- Infra – Build Azure web servers
- Analytics – Data discovery and business insights
- Creative – Develop a Video/Audio Call App using Twilio
- Quality – UI Hardening using Browser Stack and API Testing
- Development – Test Driven Development (TDD) for user login page, Develop a web page to test – Microphone/Speaker, Camera
- Gamification – Digital Health capabilities and Karesmart benefits
- Web Tracing Script using JS and Web API
- Each team selected a lead.
- Once team understands the topic, they had a brainstorming session & every member in the team contributed their ideas.
- At the end of the session, each team had given a presentation about their topic and the outcome of their work.
- Every team participated enthusiastically and had fun.
- At the end of the program, participants were given a souvenir of water bottle with Genix logo and “Hackathon 2019”.
Feedback from Champions
“I enjoyed the session & learnt new things. I wish to have such event half yearly once”
“Overall good. I think this is a good initiative for people where they stand for, through this event people can realize themselves. And It was to be a great opportunity to upgrade themselves. I like one thing, everyone can know about the new technology from this event. I have learned a few things apart from my role. Thank you for giving me this opportunity to share my knowledge and get some knowledge from others”
“I am very happy to participate this event. This is my first event and I got webcam topic which was very useful for me & our team. Thanks for arranging it”
“It’s a Nice Event, Thanks for this event. It was very useful to learn new technology on Angular 8”